Home > Groups > Folic Acid and Dizziness > I am 82 years old and have been in good health. I ...

I am 82 years old and have been in good health. I ...

  • I am 82 years old and have been in good health. I recently have become dizzy. I have gone to a cardiologist, neurologist, internist, eye ear nose and throat specialist and no one can find any reason for the dizziness. I have been taking folic acid for the last 20 years could this be the culprit?

    Post created 1 year 2 months ago


  • Hi Lou Oria:

    Hi Lou Oria:

    Folic acid should never be taken on it own. It blocks B12, which causes a deficiency of B12. A deficiency of B12 can cause all sorts of serious health problem including dizziness. Quality manufactures of vitamins will not make a folic acid without B12 in the same capsules. Poorly made folic acid supplements have a list of serious long-term side effects that are not obvious to the average person. Your doctor can order a blood test for B12 and it may come back normal. There is no test available to see if the B12 is being blocked by folic acid. I would also be tested for anemia. Hematocrit, hemoglobin, Iron saturation, ferritin, etc.

    1 year 2 months ago

  • While folic acid is

    While folic acid is relatively safe, overdose symptoms exist, including confusion, excitability and behavioral changes, even seizures; dizziness could perhaps be related. If serum folic acid levels are high, stopping folic acid is advised and dizziness symptoms monitored. If no improvement, gastrointestinal causes are possible- of unhealthy gut flora, or metabolic perturbation( of low sugar or calcium level changes, or other electrolytes). Also, any concomitant drug use should be fetched into.
    Dr Hana Fayyad, pediatrician ( Maria Jasmine Freeman, author of The Cross Of Menopause-Immolation).

    1 year 2 months ago

  • Go here: http://www

    Go here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/135992-heal-vertigo-ginger/

    1 year 2 months ago

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments

Follow the post

Log in or register to follow the post.

Reply to Post

Log in or register to post comments.